Monday, October 15, 2007

Why I Got MySelf Banned From Digg

I had been a member for 1 1/2 years. I had over 400 friends. I had articles on the front page. So why do you ask would I want to get banned from Digg? When I first joined Digg I loved the site more then anything. I found the cool articles on there and I had tons of bookmarks from Digg of all the great stuff I had found on the site. I was not a member in those days. It as all about reading the articles and enjoy the great stuff on the site. Then it all changed. I became a member of Digg. It was all good I had a few friends and I got to digg articles and that was awesome.

Everything was great up till about 1 month ago and everything that was great about my membership changed that night. Digg put in the new profiles and everything that was great about the site went downhill....fast. I started to get 20 fan request a day. I always felt bad when I had fans and didn't add them to my friends list. I didn't want to be like the stuck up diggers and not add my fans to my friends list. I started to add them and before I knew it I had over 600 friends. After only having 40 or 50 friends on average. Next thing I knew, I couldn't use the share button because I had too many friends? Then the shout spamming started. At first it wasn't bad then it got really nasty. I had to limit my shouts to just my friends but even that was getting to the point of madness. I was no longer getting diggs that I cared about, it was spam. Not only was it spam on my digg profile. It was about getting email after email after email to the tune about 100 or so a day. So and So send you a message: Digg..... So and So is your latest fan....So and So is now a mutual friend....! The thing is I could have just turned them off. But I wanted to know when one of my real friends sent me something cool.

When I got so many "friends" on digg a few of my articles that I though were cool got to the front page of Digg. I though "this is pretty cool" and it was, for the day that it happened. The problem was that things changed when that happened. I was spending most of my time scratching other friends back hoping they would help me out. When you scratching 400 friends backs that's when you miss out on the cool stuff on Digg. You spend most of your time looking at friends diggs and you start to miss great stuff. Next thing you know your spamming your friends so you can get something that is less then good on the front page.

Yesterday I had enough of my new Digg Profiles. I though about stopping my account but I knew that would not stop me from getting a new one. I was a Diggalcoholic and there was only one thing I could do about it. I had to get banned from Digg once and for all. Creating some fake accounts would get me banned. I did just that about 10 fake accounts. Today at 12:31 I was banned from Digg and my username of 1 1/2 years was gone.

This is my thank you note for Kevin and the gang. Thank you for first banning me from the site it was better then going to a DAA meeting. I am happy to be free from your "New Profiles". I am happy to be free from your "Shout Spam". I am happy to be free of your "Digg email Spam" To my friends on there I am sorry that it came to this but I needed to quit cold turkey. One more thing thanks Kevin and the gang for not even giving me one warning before banning me. I am glad you just disabled my Create new account page and setting the login page so that it is blank. I wish Digg could just go back to the way it was Kevin, the good old days when you showed the site on TechTV and it was truly awesome without all the social networking BS. Maybe someday you will figure out that people loved the site because they didn't have to be social butterflies to love the site.

3 comments:

cGt2099 said...

Come over to Mixx.com dude
seriously

AkMap said...

lol... i love this post...

polybore said...

Yep. Digg could easily become a full time job.