Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Your Closed Minded Because Your an Atheist: Mother

My mother and I when out to lunch yesterday. She was in the city to visit me. I will fill you in to some of the background on how this statement came about. I do not like the church. I feel that the church is corrupt and brain washing people everyday. When I was a child I was made to go to church and Sunday school. As I became older I started to realize that religion wasn't for me and stopped going. I have one brother and he has been studying as a minster and is a minister in the bible belt. I live far away and only see him once every year or so.

My parents have been going though some hard times after being married for over 30 years and have been living in different residents for the last two months. My mother is religious and my father is not. My father has been going though hard times since my mother has moved out. They are trying to work things out. My girlfriend is also a Christian. Her parents are also very religious and I am pretty much forced to go to their church when we visit them. As you can see I am surround by religion.

My mother came to visit last week. My father was coming with her. My mother talked about something in the car on the way to visit me that my father didn't like. He grabbed the jake brake, and pulled it on the highway, while my mother was driving going about 45 mph. He got out and walked home and my mother showed up at my place very upset. Our father has been having problems with drinking and had almost killed her. She called my brother down south to tell him what had happened and to call our father at home to talk to him.

At lunch yesterday this was the topic of discussion. My brother had called our father and told him that he would have done the same thing. My mother didn't like that he had given our father fuel for the fire. I asked her why she expected anything different and that "God" and the "Good Book" was his guide. I told her that he goes to church every Sunday and preaches crazy ideas that are thousands of years old. We then got into an argument about how I had to go to church when I went to visit my girlfriends parents. My mother still sticking up for my brother asks me "What is the big deal it's not like you have to go all the time". I said it was the point that I was sick of going to the church and having them try to brain wash me. I was pretty much shocked when my mother told me that because I didn't want to go and listen to the brain washing that I was "Closed Minded". Then she pretty much called me down because of my Athistism. She said that I should respect their beliefs. I told her that it was pretty hard to respect someone that hears the "Magical Man" talking to them. I let her know that no one respected my beliefs if they did I wouldn't be forced to church at all. Religion and the people that are part of it are the most closed minded people there are.

It is hard to imagine that this day in age that people still believe things written in a thousand year old book. Once a Christian friend of my girlfriends once told me that she didn't believe in space travel. She said that it was a waste of money because "God" created everything. Now that is not closed minded. It's a good thing Christopher Columbus didn't have that attitude!

2 comments:

Bob said...

Since you visit church with your friend, you should ask that them to take a sunday off from church with you. You could both go have brunch, watch a movie, go shopping, or take part in any other athiest-approved activity.

You could even agree to alternate, so that one visit you would go to church, and the next you would do something else.

Unknown said...

Hello, my name is Jarred. I'm a christian. Yes it is 2000 years old book, but people lifes has been forever changed by God. Jesus said, "Heaven and Earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away." So we still have Gods word today as Jesus said it will never pass away. Jesus said, "Judge not, you will not be judged." Jesus is saying is that people shouldn't judge people of their beliefs or whatever.